Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I apply for a Parenting Order when I am not the parent of the child?

Yes. The Family Court Act allows for parents, grandparents and any other person concerned with the care, welfare and development of the children to apply for a parenting order.

The process involved is the same as if you were a parent of the child and if a parenting order is made, it will give you legal responsibility for the child and the ability to make major long term decisions for their care, welfare and development.

The Court will consider what is in the best interests of the child when deciding to make a parenting order when one of the parties to the order is not the parent of the child.


We welcome your feedback

Hi there! We want to make this site as good as it can for you, the user. Please tell us what you would like to do differently and we will do our best to accommodate!

Protected by FormShield

We've updated our Privacy Statement, before you continue. please read our new Privacy Statement and familiarise yourself with the terms.