“Unlike some of the bigger firms, we pride ourselves on the ability to tailor truly individual, thoughtful and cost effective legal solutions for your naturally unique matter.
At Schmidt Liermann we strongly believe that no two issues are the same. As such, we strive to gain an unparalleled and exhaustive understanding of your particular
personal or commercial environment, so we can provide you with the best of legal options.”
We can help you in the folllowing areas of law:
We value what you want and we deliver on the commitments that we make to you. We offer clear advice and strong legal representation.
We would love to hear from you.
Contact us for an obligation free consultation.
Whether you are a first home buyer or an experienced property developer, we can provide the necessary legal advice and support that allows you to buy or sell your property on terms that suit you.
- prepare or assist you in negotiating the terms of the contract for the sale of land (including strata and stratum titles);
- deal with financiers;
- carry out the necessary searches and make the appropriate property inquiries; and
- attend to the settlement of your sale or purchase.
We have the legal expertise to assist you in developing your land. Whether you are subdividing or intending to undertake a major development such as the construction of new high rise buildings, we can help.
We understand the myriad of legal issues that you will face; the preparation and lodgement of your development application, its subsequent assessment and the eventual sale of individual lots.
We can prepare the necessary documentation and dealings including s88B Instrument, positive and restrictive covenants, easements and caveats.
We have the inside experience and knowledge of local government and planning law, that allow us to effectively negotiate with government departments, local councils and state owned corporations, such as Sydney Water, to ensure that you achieve your development goals.
You can count on our knowledge and experience in:
- commercial and retail leases;
- telecommunications leases;
- leases of crown land;
- maritime leases; and
- licenses to use land for a variety of purposes,
to ensure that you are able to negotiate fair lease terms that meet your specific requirements and circumstances either as Lessor or as a prospective Lessee.
Commercial & Corporate:
In providing our services we offer you the security of knowing that your legal interests have been properly considered and that your exposure to transactional risks has been minimised.
We can advise you on:
- suitable business structures including partnerships, trusts and corporations;
- business name registration;
- establishing, buying and selling a business;
- taxation issues including capital gains tax and GST;
- business management and administration;
- employment matters (including employment contracts, employee rights, unfair dismissal, restraint of trade and confidentiality agreements);
- copyright and intellectual property law;
- legislative compliance, including corporate governance and occupational health & saftey; and
- liquidation and winding up of your business interests.
We have extensive experience in:
- construction contracts;
- commercial leases and licences;
- guarantees and security documents;
- goods and services supply agreements;
- hire agreements;
- lending agreements (mortgage documents, liens, chattel mortgages);
- local government tenders;
- management agreements;
- public private partnership agreements;
- partnership and joint venture agreements;
- share sale agreements;
- shareholder agreements;
- waste management contracts.
Local Government & Planning:
We understand both the legal environment and the political dynamic within which councils:
- make decisions;
- exercise their legal rights and obligations;
- deliver services; and
- exercise their functions,
in their various roles as a bodies politic; as public authorities; as consent authorities; as regulatory authorities; as strategic planning bodies; as landowners; as employers, or as a principals under various contracts.
We have a proven track record of:
- Providing legal advice across all areas of council operations;
- representing parties in a range of commercial and property related transactions;
- drafting and preparing a broad range of commercial and property related contracts and agreements;
- undertaking the internal and external investigation of complaints;
- advising on the conduct of administrative reviews of council decisions;
- preparing submissions and making representations to the Division of Local Government, Department of Planning, ICAC, the NSW Ombudsman and various Ministers and other State Government departments.
We can provide advice in relation to:
- the use and management of community land, the classification and reclassification of land, the sale and lease of operational land and lease of community land;
- the development of land;
- issues relating to public roads, public reserves and crown land as well as land title issues under both Old System Title and Torrens System land;
- the compulsory acquisition of land;
- public tendering and procurement;
- approvals and orders (issuing and compliance);
- the roles and responsibilities of the elected members of councils, the General Manager, public officer and senior council staff;
- probity matters;
- corporate governance and administrative issues;
- meeting practice and procedure;
- accounting, financial administration, management plans, annual reports, auditing and grant fund administration, rates, charges and fees;
- the conduct of local government elections;
- the conduct of councillors and senior staff including with respect to councillor misconduct and the suspension and dismissal of councillors from civic office;
- employment issues (engagement, conduct and performance; termination);
- occupational health and safety issues (including incident investigation, prevention and defending WorkCover prosecutions);
- issues relating to trade practices law, telecommunications law, intellectual property law, consumer law and native title law;
- development assessment and approval; and
- the powers and duties of councils under the:
Administrative Decisions Tribunal Act 1997
Anti-Discrimination Act 1977
Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998
Civil Liability Act 2002
Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Commonwealth)
Environmental Planning & Assessment Act 1979
Fair Trading Act 1987
Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009
Independent Commission Against Corruption Act 1988
Local Government Act 1993
Land Acquisition (Just Terms Compensation) Act 1991
Ombudsman Act 1974
Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998
Protected Disclosures Act 1994
Roads Act 1993
Water Management Act 2000
Sydney Water Act 1994