BA, University of Queensland 1979
LLB, University of Queensland 1982
Areas of practice
Engineering and construction disputes
Corporate governance disputes
Professional negligence issues
Bill has over 20 years experience managing litigation and the resolution of commercial disputes. Bill is an accredited mediator advising in disputes involving directors and corporate governance, contract enforcement, partnerships, professional negligence, intellectual property and insolvency situations. Bill has advised clients in the mining and resources, construction, financial services, transport and storage, and agribusiness sectors.
- Advising a subsidiary of a publicly listed healthcare entity in a dispute concerning the acquisition of a group of medical centres. The problem resulted from our client's takeover of the purchasing entity and consequently inheriting the situation.
- Representing a national distributor in the Federal Court of Australia in defence of termination of an $8 million per year agreement with a Statewide distributor. Sought relief under the Trade Practices Act 1974 and successfully negotiated a settlement.
- Acting for majority shareholders in a dispute between shareholders in a foreign owned pastoral company
- Acting in long running dispute between stakeholders in a national valuation business regarding territorial and mining rights
- Acting for developers of high rise residential apartments in numerous disputes involving the sale of units off the plan and claims of misleading and deceptive conduct under theTrade Practices Act 1974.
- Acting in property disputes involving sale of land contracts and leases of commercial and retail property.
- Acting for bodies corporate and owners in disputes under the Body Corporate and Community Management Act 1997.
Engineering and construction disputes
- Acting for consulting engineers in a wide ranging dispute in New Zealand, involving contractual and professional negligence claims in connection with the Rotowaro Coal Handling Facility
- Acting for consulting engineers in a dispute relating to the construction of the Osborne Co-Generation Plant in South Australia
- Acting for a major property developer in a Supreme Court action involving an engineering dispute over the design and construction of flood mitigation structures
- Acting for Australia Post in advising in respect of engineering contracts and disputes.
- Successfully representing a Director and senior employee of a major mining company in a 12-week Supreme Court trial concerning allegations of breaches of fiduciary duties under corporations law.
- Acting for independent directors of a major agricultural company in a trial in the Supreme Court of Queensland. Defending oppressive action from a group of minority shareholders against the majority shareholders and indirectly, the directors.
- Acting for employers seeking to enforce the restraint of trade and confidentiality provisions of employment contracts.
- Acting for employers and employees both in the civil courts and the Industrial Relations Commission on termination issues including redundancy, unfair dismissals and fixed term contracts.
- Acting in a Federal Court of Australia action regarding interpretation of law and rules governing elections by an industrial organisation.
Professional negligence claims:
- Acting for a professional indemnity insurer defending claims for professional negligence against solicitors.
- Managing the conduct of litigation of over 100 private investors against legal advisors and valuers, recovering losses in excess of $7 million incurred in private mortgage lending funds.
- Successfully representing a Director and executive employee of a major mining company in a 12-week Supreme Court trial concerning corporate governance procedures.
Insolvency and debt recovery
- Acting in insolvency actions including disputes over retention of title clauses and constructive trusts
- Acting for private financiers recovering losses incurred under private mortgage schemes
- Acting for liquidators and credit providers in recovery actions against borrowers involving loan agreements, exercising the power of sale and defending allegations under the Trade Practices Act 1974
- Acting for borrowers defending claims by banks and financiers and restraining the exercise of power of sale.
Professional memberships and appointments:
Industrial Relations Society
Law Council of Australia (Industrial Relations Section)
Queensland Law Society
Queensland Law Society Practice & Procedure Committee