BA, University of Queensland 1979
LLB, University of Queensland 1981
Grad Dip Legal Practice, Queensland University of Technology 1981
LLM, University of Queensland 1992
Registered Migration Agent (No 9475192)
Member of the Migration Institute of Australia
(Member No: 58)
Areas of practice
Construction and Mining law
Mergers and acquisitions
Robin has 30 years' experience advising on all aspects of contract and corporate law. He has acted for Australian and international clients in the mining and energy, construction, tourism, property and telecommunications industries. He specialises in advising companies and joint venture partners on the most effective contractual and commercial arrangements whilst minimising risk. Details of matters handled include:
- Providing advice to public and private company boards regarding tendering processes, contracting, compliance with statutory requirements (including privacy issues) and directors' duties.
- Undertaking due diligence for company prospectuses, mergers and acquisitions and project financing.
- Developing standard contracts, joint venture agreements and management agreements for government, mining, construction and engineering clients. This includes developing contracts for the construction of a nickel mine in New Caledonia and a coal processing plant in Indonesia.
- Preparing standard contracts for an American based mining company for use in mines throughout Australia and Indonesia.
- Acting for a telecommunications carrier regarding the implications of theTelecommunications Act 1997, including issuing of notices for access and negotiating leases for the construction of telecommunications facilities during network expansion in Queensland.
- Advising on the negotiation and review of contracts for a client involved in the construction of several multiple use retail, residential and entertainment developments.
- Reviewing contracts for a client involved in the construction of public works facilities.
- Preparing suites of contracts including agreements for supply and/or installation of materials and machinery, professional services, minor and major building works and service agreements.
- Advising on intellectual property issues including advising on a joint venture agreement between a university and a research institute involved in the primary industries area.
- Advising various engineers and architects about minimising risk in specific project contracts with consulting engineers.
- Acting for the developer of two residential towers in Redcliffe including negotiating contracts, dealing with the financiers, and establishing the body corporate.
- Advising on the development of a residential community on the Gold Coast for Hong Kong based investors.
- Acting for of a Japanese developer, in its acquisition and construction of a number of hotel, apartment buildings and golf courses on the Gold Coast and in Cairns
- Acting for a telecommunications carrier regarding the implications of theTelecommunications Act 1997, including issuing of notices for access and negotiating leases for construction of telecommunications facilities during network expansion in Queensland
- Acting for private owners of commercial buildings and undertaking duty assessment and investigating securities issues. Negotiating facility agreements, multi-jurisdictional lending facilities and preparing commercial space leases, fit out deeds, incentive agreements and other lease documentation, including negotiating leases with Government tenants.
Professional memberships and appointments
- Australia China Business Council
- Australian Mining & Petroleum Law Association
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (Former Chairman of International Construction Projects Committee and Regional Coordinator for Asia and the Pacific)
- Migration Institute of Australia (Member No 58)
- Queensland Korean Chamber of Commerce & Industry (President from 1997 - 2004)
- Queensland Program of Assistance for Survivors of Torture and Trauma (Management Committee Member)
- South Brisbane Immigration and Community Legal Service (Committee Member for 10 years)
- The Lowitja Institute (Director)
- Queensland Japan Society
Presentations and publications:
- March 2012 - 22nd Inter Pacific Bar Association conference in New Delhi 29 February - 3 March, topic International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution for Construction Projects.
- February 2012 - Akolade conference Contract Law Fundamentals on the topic Mitigating Insolvency Risks in the Current Economic Environment.
- August 2011 Contracts - Bullet-Proofing Your Business Contracts Conference by Lexis Nexis. Topic presented Negotiating Liability and Indemnity Clauses.
- April 2011 Contract Law Conference for Tonkin Corporation, topic Consequential Loss.
- March 2011 Australian Legal Business , topic Essential Skills for Non Lawyers at the Navigating Contract Law Confference on 24 March, 2011.
- April 2011 Australian Institute of Export The Distribution Agreement and Global Partnerships - Getting it Right from the Start
- Queensland Law Society Creating Contracts, Identifying Breaches and Seeking Remedies Program on Wednesday 14 October 2009. Robin presented the topic Drafting and Creating Contracts.
- February 2009 - Lexis Nexis Construction Law Master Class - Presented on the topicConsidering Joint Ventures and Alliance Partnerships with Respect to Preferred Delivery Methods for Commercial Building, Civil and Infrastructure Projects.
- October 2008 - Relationship Contracting - Is Alliancing the Answer, October 2008 for firm clients, contacts and referrers.
- July 2007 - Television Education Network - Distribution Agreements including Retention of Title and Registrations with Chinese Manufacturers.
- "Supplier Agreements", presentation at the Television Education Network Conference, October 2007.
- "Going International - Export Advisory Training" Austrade, August 2007
- Master of Laws Dissertation on Foreign Investment Law in Australia, University of Queensland.